In this video Paula makes ‘crowdie’, a ricotta-style cheese. The tradition of making it when a baby was born led to it being known as ‘crying cheese’.
Crowdie Crying Cheese
750 mls whole milk
25 fl oz whole milk
- Pour the milk into a stainless steel saucepan and add the salt.
- Stirring frequently, slowly heat to 84℃/183℉ and then add the vinegar.
- Cook for about 20 seconds until curds form.
- Cover with a tea towel and leave for 2 hours to cool.
- Line a sieve with muslin. Spoon in the curds and allow to drip overnight in the fridge.
- Form the cheese into a ball and place in a serving dish.
- Mix the nuts, parsley and garlic together.
- Sprinkle over the cheese and drizzle with oil. Serve with soda farls or oatcakes.