At Discover Ulster-Scots, we’re committed to respecting and protecting your personal information. This Privacy Notice explains when and why we collect personal information, how we use it, the conditions under which we may disclose it to others and how we keep it secure. This includes data collected via:
- our website, marketing or research;
- participation in Discover Ulster-Scots events or training; and
- contact with us through email, phone, social media or post.
“We” includes information from Discover Ulster-Scots.
General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
Any information you provide will be held securely and in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation. Discover Ulster-Scots has a legal duty to protect any information collected from you.
The Information we collect about you and how we use it.
Discover Ulster-Scots interact with many people on a daily basis, each differing in experience and user need.
In running and maintaining our website we may collect the following data about you:
- information that you provide when you communicate with us by any means (for example by emailing us);
- information that you provide when you complete online surveys, for example customer satisfaction surveys;
- information we get from your use of our services. We collect information about the services that you use and how you use them, like when you watch a video on discoverulsterscots.com, visit a web page or activity. This information includes:
We collect device-specific information (such as your hardware model, operating system version, unique device identifiers, and mobile network information).
When you use our services or view content provided by discoverulsterscots.com, we automatically collect and store certain information in server logs. This includes:
- details of how you used our service, such as your search queries;
- Internet Protocol (IP) address;
- device event information such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and referral URL;
- cookies that may uniquely identify your browser or your Google Account;
- location information; and
- links – In order to provide improved services for you we may keep a track of how you interact with links across our services. This includes emails we send you and when clicking on pages on our websites or applications. If you click on an external link on our website the website operator might figure out that you came from the Discover Ulster-Scots website along with other information like audience characteristics, cookies and your IP address.
We may collect and store information (including personal information) locally on your device using mechanisms such as browser web storage (including HTML 5) and application data caches.
Cookies and similar technologies
The Discover Ulster-Scots website use various technologies to collect and store information when you visit a Google service, and this may include using cookies or similar technologies to identify your browser or device.
Our Google Analytics and Google Ads products help us analyse the traffic to our websites and apps and to make advertising messages more relevant. Google Analytics information is linked, by the Google Analytics customer or by Google, using Google technology, with information about visits to multiple sites.
How we use the information the website collects about you
Discover Ulster-Scots may use your personal information:
- to analyse and improve the services offered on the Discover Ulster-Scots website. When you contact the Discover Ulster-Scots website, we keep a record of your communication to help solve any issues you might be facing. We may use your email address to inform you about our services, such as letting you know about upcoming changes or improvements. We will ask for your consent before using information for a purpose other than those that are set out in this Privacy Notice. The Discover Ulster-Scots website processes personal information on our servers. We may process your personal information on a server located outside the country where you live.
Visiting the Discover Ulster-Scots website from another site
When you are directed to the Discover Ulster-Scots website from another site, Discover Ulster-Scots may receive personal information relating to you from the other site(s). You should read the privacy policies for these sites, as these will govern the use of any personal information that you provide and which is then provided to Discover Ulster-Scots.
Linking to another site
Any personal information that you give to Discover Ulster-Scots is not passed on to any other website. However, the Discover Ulster-Scots website contains links to other sites. You should always be aware when you follow one of these links that this Privacy Notice applies only to the Discover Ulster-Scots website. You should also read the privacy statement(s) of any other site(s) that may collect personal information about you.
How do we protect your data on our website
We work hard to ensure the security of discoverulsterscots.com and our users from unauthorized access to, disclosure or destruction of information we hold. In particular:
- we will encrypt many of our services using SSL in particular forms with user data or logins. You should not disclose any information if you do not see the lock on the browser and you should always keep any usernames and passwords secure, do not share this information with anyone else; and
- we constantly review our information collection, storage and processing practices, including physical security measures, to guard against unauthorized access to systems.
- The Discover Ulster-Scots website and some of the tools and services it links to use a number of cookies. To help us meet the needs of our users, we use Google Analytics to collect information about how people use the Discover Ulster-Scots website.
- Google Analytics stores information about what pages you visit, how long you are on the website, how you got here and what you click on. Through this, we cannot identify who you are and do not collect or store your personal details such as your name or address.
- Discover Ulster-Scots also uses Google Ads Cookies which ensure that advertisements are properly displayed and in some cases selecting advertisements that are based on Discover Ulster-Scotss interests.
Whilst we try and monitor these sites during normal business hours, please be aware that any personal information you share may be seen by others.
Please refer to our Privacy Notice designed for Learners where we explain that there may be occasions when information shared by a child has to be shared with their school or college under our duty to care for children contained in the Children (Northern Ireland) Order 1995.
Managing your personal information with us
You control the personal data you share with us the accuracy of your information is important to us.
When you use our services we aim to give you ways to access and update your personal information through the systems you use. If an electronic service does not exist please email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will update as soon as possible.
We aim to maintain our services in a way, which protects information from accidental or malicious destruction. After you delete information from our services, we may not immediately delete residual copies from our active servers and may not remove information from our backup systems.
You have the right to ask for a copy of the information Discover Ulster-Scots hold about you. We will provide this information, free of charge, in line with the GDPR timescales of one month.
Changes to the Privacy Notice
From time to time, our Privacy Notice may change. This will not reduce your rights under this Privacy Notice without your explicit consent. We will post any privacy notice changes on this page and, if the changes are significant, we will provide a more prominent notice (including, for certain services, email notification of privacy notice changes). We will also keep prior versions of this Privacy Notice in an archive for you to review.
Please do not hesitate to contact us about any matter relating to this Privacy Notice.