Maps of the Settlement
This page shows the two essential maps in understanding the Hamilton & Montgomery Settlement of 1606.
This map shows:
- the proximity of the Ulster and Scottish coastlines
- the lands of Lower Clandeboye, Upper Clandeboye and the Great Ardes
- the locations the settlers came from. (These locations are reproduced from Professor David Hackett Fischer’s Albion’s Seed, Four British Folkways in America, with the author’s personal permission.
- the direction of the migration, through Portpatrick to Donaghadee
- castles relevant to the story of the Settlement
- towns in Ulster relevant to the story of the Settlement