St Anne’s Cathedral
When Queen Victoria made Belfast a City in 1888, it was decided to build a new cathedral on the site of the existing St. Anne’s Parish Church, which had been founded in 1776. Designs were drawn up in the Hiberno-Romanesque style by the Irish architect, Sir Thomas Drew and the foundation stone was laid in 1899. The old church was demolished at the end of 1903 and in June 1904, the Nave of St Anne’s Cathedral was opened for public worship. The building work continued for over a century, with the most recent addition, the stainless steel Spire of Hope, being lowered into place in June 2007.
The interior is particularly remarkable for its stone carvings and mosaics, but the Cathedral’s only tomb is marked by a simple granite stone from the Mountains of Mourne in County Down, inscribed with one word – ‘Carson’. This is the last resting place of Edward Henry Carson, the Rt. Hon. Lord Carson, the renowned lawyer and politician who led the Unionist Party from 1910 to 1921. By a special Act of Parliament, Carson was laid to rest in a state funeral on 26 October, 1935, the only person ever to have been buried in the Cathedral.
Donegall Street, Belfast, BT12 2HB
0044 28 9032 8332