SS Nomadic

DUS Watermark

SS Nomadic is a steamship of the White Star Line, launched on 25 April 1911 in Belfast. She was built as a tender to RMS Olympic and RMS Titanic, and is the only surviving White Star Line steamship today.

RMS Olympic and RMS Titanic were too large to dock in Cherbourg harbour, so SS Nomadic, and her running mate, SS Traffic, ferried passengers, their baggage, mail and ship’s supplies to and from the large ocean liners moored off-shore. The sumptuously appointed Nomadic brought first and second class to Titanic and Olympic, while her sister Traffic, ferried third class passengers and mail.

The keel of Nomadic was laid down in the Harland and Wolff shipyard in 1910 (yard number 422). She was built on slipway No. 1 alongside RMS Olympic and RMS Titanic, which were constructed on slipways 2 and 3 respectively. She was launched on 25 April 1911 and delivered to the White Star Line on the 27 May, following sea trials.

Nomadic saw active service during the Second World War, 1939-1945. She was used as a troopship to evacuate soldiers of the British Expeditionary Force from Le Havre, and served as a patrol vessel and minelayer. She survived the War and returned intact to Cherbourg in 1945. Her sister, Traffic, was sunk. After many years of neglect, Nomadic is now restored to her original glory and is back home in Belfast’s historic Hamilton Dock.

 

Hamilton Dock, Queens Road, Belfast BT3 9DT

0044 28 9073 7860

Website