Siege Museum, Londonderry

DUS Watermark

Siege Museum, Londonderry

The Siege Museum opened in 2015 and through artefacts and interactive media tells the story of the Siege of Londonderry, one of the most significant events in British and Irish history.

On 7 December 1688, fearing that they were about to be attacked, a group of 13 apprentices shut the city’s gates in the face of the approaching Earl of Antrim’s regiment of Redshanks. These apprentices were led by Henry Campsie who came from one of the leading Presbyterian families in Londonderry. This eventually led to the 105-day siege of the city by Jacobite troops, which began in April 1689.

As many as 30,000 people, as well as a garrison of 7,000 men, were packed into the city. It was reckoned that 15,000 of them died of fever or starvation or were killed in battle. The siege was lifted in late July. Ulster-Scots who played a prominent role in the Siege included Adam Murray and David Cairnes, who are commemorated by sculptured heads on Magazine Gate in the city.

In the 1800s clubs were founded to commemorate prominent figures in the Siege. In 1859 these clubs came together to form the Associated Clubs of the Apprentice Boys of Derry. Opened in 1877, the Apprentice Boys Memorial Hall was designed by John Guy Ferguson and displays architectural features in the Scottish Baronial style. The building was extended in 1937 and the new Siege Museum now adjoins it.

Address

Siege Museum, The Siege Museum, 13 Society Street, Londonderry, BT48 6PJ

Further Information

www.thesiegemuseum.org

Telephone: 028 71261219

Opening Hours

Monday-Saturday 10am-5pm