Sentry Hill

DUS Watermark

Sentry Hill was the home of the McKinneys and their descendants from the late eighteenth century to the late twentieth century. It is now in the care of Newtownabbey Borough Council. In 1716 James McKenzie and his bride to be, Helen Campbell, settled in the Carnmoney area. They had left Scotland in the wake of the 1716 Jacobite rising in which James, a Highlander, had taken part on behalf of the Stuarts. They married in Carnmoney Presbyterian meeting house in 1717. A gravestone in Carnmoney Church of Ireland churchyard states that they were from Argyll. In time the name changed to McKinnie and then McKinney. In 1780, James’ grandson Andrew McKinney settled at Sentry Hill. The most famous member of the family to live here was William Fee McKinney (1832-1917), who created a remarkable collection of photographs depicting rural life in Victorian Ulster. He was also an avid collector of artefacts, which are on display in the house.

 

40 Ballycraigy Road, Newtownabbey, County Antrim, BT36 4S

0044 28 9083 2363

Website