Generally regarded as the finest Plantation castle of all, Monea was built by Malcolm Hamilton, a clergyman from Scotland who would later become an archbishop in Ireland. The castle was in building when Nicholas Pynnar visited the site in 1618-9 and he described it as a ‘strong castle of lime and stone’. In 1622 it was noted that the roof was thatched.
Today the outer shell of the castle survives reasonably complete. The most striking feature of the structure is the pair of tall circular towers at the west side protecting the entrance. The castle survived the troubles of the 1640s and again in 1689-91 and continued to be occupied until well into the eighteenth century.
0044 28 6862 1588