First Derry Presbyterian
Following the lifting of the Siege of Derry in 1689, Queen Mary gave a generous donation to the Presbyterian populace to construct a new meeting house. This was completed soon afterwards within the walled city. As Derry grew rapidly in the course of the eighteenth century, so the Presbyterian population also expanded. By the 1770s the meeting-house was becoming too small for the numbers attending services and so a new building was erected. This is the building still in use today.
Following a major programme of refurbishment, the church reopened in 2011, having been closed for a number of years because of defects in the building. In the vestibule of First Derry Presbyterian Church a large marble memorial records the early years of the Scottish Presbyterian settlement in the city, including the signing of the Solemn League and Covenant in the Diamond in 1644. A similar memorial records the names of those Presbyterians who resigned from the Londonderry Corporation rather than take communion in the Church of Ireland.
The former Blue Coat School behind the meeting house had been renovated as a visitor centre that tells the story of the many ways in which Presbyterians contributed to the development of Derry over the last four centuries.
Upper Magazine Street, Londonderry, BT48 6HY
0044 28 7126 1550