Castle Balfour in Lisnaskea was begun by Sir James Balfour, later Lord Balfour, around 1618. According to the report of the 1622 commissioners, it was a ‘strong and beautiful castle of stone and lime… 100 ft long, 41 ft broad, most of the lower rooms being strongly vaulted’. The castle was part of a much larger complex being constructed by Balfour, which also included a bawn, servants’ quarters, and a church.
Nearby is the town of Lisnaskea, which in 1622 contained 40 houses. In its plan and in many of the details, such as the corbelling, the castle is unmistakably Scottish in character. The castle suffered during the wars of the 1600s, but remained in occupation until the early 1800s.
Main Street, Lisnaskea, BT92 0JE
0044 28 6862 1588