Carnfunnock Country Park

DUS Watermark

Carnfunnock Country Park

Carnfunnock Country Park is a wonderful place for a family outing. Situated on the Antrim coast, it enjoys views across the North Channel to Scotland. In the early 1600s Carnfunnock was one the townlands that was granted to John Shaw of Ballygally Castle, who was originally from Greenock in Scotland, by Randal MacDonnell, 1st Earl of Antrim.

The Agnews of Kilwaughter Castle later acquired Carnfunnock. This family was originally from Lochnaw in south-west Scotland. Around 1839 James Agnew built Cairncastle Lodge at Carnfunnock. In 1865 he sold this property to James Chaine who enlarged the house and used it as his summer residence.

Chaine was a successful businessman and invested considerable time and resources into developing the port of Larne. In 1874 he was elected MP for County Antrim. Following his death in 1885, the Chaine Memorial Tower was built in Larne in his memory. It was designed in the form of an Irish round tower and in 1899 became a lighthouse.

Sir Thomas and Lady Edith Dixon, owners of the neighbouring property of Cairndhu, acquired Carnfunnock in the early 20th century. In time they replaced Cairncastle Lodge with a chalet bungalow which became known as Carnfunnock House. In 1957 Lady Dixon sold Carnfunnock to Larne Borough Council, but she was allowed to use the house until her death in 1964. This building was later used by the Larne Lions Club, but was demolished recently.

Today, Carnfunnock is an excellent family-friendly activity park. It includes many attractions, including a walled garden, a maze in the shape of Northern Ireland, a putting green, crazy golf, a 9-hole golf course, a miniature railway and a play park.

Address

Carnfunnock Country Park, Coast Road, Larne, County Antrim BT40 2QG

Further Information

www.carnfunnock.co.uk

Telephone: 028 2826 2471

Opening Hours

The Country Park is open all year round (closed Christmas Day), but certain activities are seasonal. Check website for more details.