Andrew Jackson Cottage

1750s

DUS Watermark

The Andrew Jackson Centre is housed in a mid 18th-century cottage at Boneybefore on the outskirts of Carrickfergus, just off the Larne Road close to the shore of Belfast Lough. The original Jackson home, from where Andrew Jackson’s parents and older brothers left for America in 1765, was just a short distance away, but was demolished in the 19th century to make way for the railway; a blue plaque marks the spot.

The exhibition tells the story of the Jackson family against the backdrop of what was happening in Ulster in the 17th and 18th centuries, including the arrival of settlers Britain, the rise of the linen industry and emigration to the American Colonies. It also looks at the life of Andrew Jackson, who rose from humble origins in the Carolinas to eventually become the 7th President of the United States.

 

2 Boneybefore, Carrickfergus, BT38 7EQ

0044 28 9335 8049

Website